To be the core of food-based research and development for sustainability of the economy.
To develop value-added products from indigenous raw materials for food security, industrialization and socio-economic development of Nigeria.
Activities of the Division
This division is dedicated to the processing and utilization of indigenous raw materials such as cereals and legume, fruits and vegetables, meat and fleshy foods, roots and tubers for the development of both intermediate and finished products for the growing population. The division establishes suitable process technologies through research and development by upgrading existing traditional technologies for each crop and product of target.
The strategic objective of the division is to conduct basic and applied research using a focused multi-disciplinary approach in developing consumable products on laboratory scale levels. The division also generates adequate processing data for semi-pilot and pilot scale-up of research innovations made at the laboratories scale. Established guidelines by regulatory bodies and Quality Standards required for food safety and quality management are strictly adhered to during product development. These include; HACCP, SOP, GMP, Food code(s), etc.
The division has a major mandate to process and preserve indigenous raw materials thus reducing post-harvest losses and ensuring food security. The division has worked extensively on different fruits such as orange, mango, pineapple, watermelon, dates and vegetables such as okra, cassava leaves, carrot, garden egg, tomato. Also, on various roots and tubers such as cassava, yam, sweet potato, potato Irish, cocoyam, ginger, plantain; and cereals and legumes such as maize, sorghum, acha, millet, bambara nut, groundnut, soybean, rice, etc for the development of various shelf stable products. Additionally, fleshy foods such as fish, meat and dairy products are processed for human and animal consumption. Developed technologies in Food Product Development Division are thus available for adoption by small, medium and large scale entrepreneurs.
The division regularly trains undergraduates from tertiary institutions under the Student-Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) on food research technologies.
Developed Technologies in FIIRO Resident in PD Division:
1. Soy-Ogi; Infant and Adult formulations.
2. Production of Sorghum malt.
3. Groundnut processing into snacks.
4. Production of maize flour and maize grits.
5. Production of Instant and semi instant soy enriched breakfast cereals.
6. Composite flour for snacks and confectionaries.
7. High nutrient density biscuits for school aged children.
8. Bambara groundnut flour for steamed paste and deep fried cake.
9. Bambara groundnut flour pre-mix for cookies production.
10. Coconut-based pre-mix flour for cookies production.
11. Production of high fibre meals from selected blends of cereals and legumes for the elderly.
12. Production of Instant pounded yam flour.
13. Production of Tapioca.
14. Production of soy-enriched yam flour (Elubo).
15. Production of dried cassava chips.
16. Production of Cassava-based Macaroni Noodles.
17. Production of Cocoyam thickeners for soup
18. Production Cocoyam chips and flour
19. Production of Garri from dry cassava chips.
20· Production of dehydrated fruits from pineapple, pawpaw, banana, mango, tomatoes, peppers (chili, pimento, bell and green pepper).
21. Production of dehydrated vegetables from green leafy vegetables (fluted pumpkin leaves, amaranthus, bitter leaves), okra, green peas, carrots, stringed beans etc.
22. Production of Spices and herbs (ground spices hot pepper and ginger, turmeric, garlic)
23. Production of Fruit Powder products - the use of powder-seasoning or drink from banana, plantain, mango, Roselle (zobo) tea infusions,
24. Production of Fruit juice mixes and fruit drinks from pineapples, mango, oranges, pawpaw, banana, cashew, watermelon.
25. Production of Fruit purees, Nectars, Fruit cordials
26. Production of jams and jelly- substance of gelling power
27. Production of High fiber drinks from indigenous selected fruits for the elderly
28. Production of Hypoglycemic drink from selected blends of indigenous fruits for the diabetic.
29. Production of animal feed for growing Grasscutter (Thryonomys Swinderianus) using indigenous crops.
30. Production of high quality packaged snail feed for growing snail (Achatina achatina) using indigenous crops
Contact the Division
Dr O.O. Oladunmoye
B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D Food Science & Technology
Chief Research Officer,
Food Technology Department,
Product Development Division,
Federal Institute of Industrial Research Oshodi (FIIRO),
Lagos, Nigeria, West Africa.