The discovery of the DNA by Griffith et al in 1928 followed by the deciphering of its structure by Watson and Crick in 1953 revolutionized research in the life science. The understanding of the process of DNA replication also paved way for the development of the indispensable technique, polymerase chain reaction in molecular biology. The newly remodelled FIIRO Molecular Biology Laboratory is strategically positioned to offer world class molecular biology research and training services to the teeming Nigerian researchers and scientists. Our fully prepared and trained molecular biology team is ready to offer premium and top-notch molecular biology services to advance research in FIIRO as well as other internal and external clients.
Our services include but not limited to:
- Molecular Characterisation of Microorganisms. a. Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Based Techniques. b. Fluorescence Microscopy.
- DNA/RNA with cDNA Synthesis/Protein Extraction
- Quantification and Purity Assessment of Nucleic Acids
- Amplification of Target DNA Sequences.
- Mutation/Polymorphism Detection
- Protein Characterisation and Profiling. a.Total Protein Profiling. b. Protein Characterisation. a. i. Molecular Weight Determination for Specific Proteins. b.ii. Identification of Specific Proteins.
Some techniques to be used in service delivery include but not limited to:
- PCR with Gene Specific Primers
- 16SrRNA Sequencing
- ITS Sequencing
- Fluorescent in situ Hybridization (FISH)
- Reverse Transcription-PCR (RT-PCR)
- Semi Quantitative RT-PCR (SqRT-PCR)
- Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
- Temperature/Denaturing Gradient Gel Electrophoresis (DGGE/TGGE)
- Western Blotting
- PCR: Polymerase Chain Reaction
- RAPD: Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNA
- RFLP: Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism
- ARDRA: Amplified Ribosomal DNA Restriction Analysis
- ITS: Internal Transcribed Spacer
- SDS-PAGE: Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis
Some equipment are listed and shown below.
For information on collaboration, bench space and sample analysis contact:
Dr Temitope O. Fadipe
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Ground Floor, Koleosho Laboratory Complex, FIIRO, Lagos.