Enzymes and Genetics Division is one of the Pioneer Division of the Biotechnology Department, but later became Enzyme Technology Division from the year 2011. The core value of the Division involves Research and Development into the local productions and utilization of Industrial enzymes from agro-industrial waste for use by Industries in Nigeria. The production process involves fermentation processes through solid state and submerged methods using micro-organisms on the agro-industrial wastes.
Recently, the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Ministry of Science and Technology on the Research effort of the developed enzymes in the Division made the Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi an Enzyme Research Centre in Nigeria.
Vision of the Division:
The vision of the Division is to be the National reference centre in Biocatalysis and a link between technological innovation and the Industry
Mission of the Division:
The Mission of the Division is to promote grassroot development using Industrial enzymes in values addition for product development for the use of the Industry.
On-going Research Project:
1. Microbial production of the following enzymes by solid state fermentation and submerged fermentation:
* Glucose Isomerase
2. Molecular Characterization of the identified strains through transformational studies for the enhancement of products.
3. Applicational studies of the developed enzymes for product development.
4. Production of the enzymes using large scale fermentors.
1- Local Technology for the production of Industrial enzymes.
2- Production of Glucose syrup and fructose syrup.
3- Production of Clarified carbonated fruit juice.
4- Production of Biogas and Biofertilizer from agro-industrial wastes.
Contact in the Division:
Lawal, Adekunle Kolawole (Ph.D)
Food and Industrial Microbiologist
Head, Enzyme Technology Division
Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi, P. M. B. 210233, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
· Institute of Public Analyst of Nigeria (IPAN)
· American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
· Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM)
· Association of Industrial Microbiologists of Nigeria (AIMN)
· Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST).