WELCOME TO THE FEDERAL INSTITUTE OF INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH OSHODI
The Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO) is a parastatal under the agency of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology. FIIRO was the idea of an economic mission sent to Nigeria in 1953 by the World Bank. The mission's observation was that industrial research activities in Nigeria were diffused and uncoordinated with no definite direction. Consequently, a decision was reached to set the Institute in 1956.
Welcome to FIIRO’s website, the official window of Nigeria’s foremost research institute to the outside world. An adventure into this website affords you the opportunity to acquaint yourself with our vision, mission, antecedents, activities and land mark achievements.
We have the broad mandate of accelerating industrialization in Nigeria and has over the years developed technologies that have promoted the ideals of entrepreneurship development.
We have locally sourced alternative raw materials for our industries, thereby conserving foreign exchange; through adequate food processing techniques we have improved the nutritional content of our food intake and we have locally fabricated machines, equipment and many more.
Impressed as they were with FIIRO’s unequal strides, corporate organizations, governments, NGOs, international organizations, donor agencies, and the academia have actively identified with our R&D pursuits. You can see a list of corporate beneficiaries from FIIRO's research work here.
Also at your disposal via this web are the schedules of our trainings, seminars and workshops. The website also showcases our publications and contributions in making R&D a worthwhile venture.
Please browse our website and use the search feature to link to publications available for download and other information you might need.
Thank you and WELCOME!!!
To be the foremost centre for Science and Technology-based research and development for the industrialization and socio-economic advancement of the nation.
To conduct and promote market-driven research and development (R&D) for the industrialization and socio-economic development of the country.
CURRENT AREA OF FOCUS
- Research and Development of Food and Agro – Allied Processing Technologies.
- Research and Development into Pulp and Paper Processing.
- Research and Development into Packaging and Product Design
- Design and Fabrication of Equipment Prototype.
To assist in accelerating the industrialization of the Nigerian economy through finding utilization for the country’s raw materials and upgrading indigenous production technologies specifically to:-
- Identifing & Characterizing local raw materials for use in industries
- Develop appropriate technologies; upgrading indigenous technologies in the area of food and agro-allied processing and in various non-food us
- Develop Pilot scale operations
- Assists in the transfer, adaptation and utilization of these technologies by local enterprises
- Undertake economic evaluation of Projects and consultancy services